When you set up Google Authenticator two-factor authentication (2FA) in your account, you’re prompted to download a backup key. This code lets you restore access to your account in case you change or lose your phone or accidentally delete the Google Authenticator app. That’s why it’s very important to keep the key safe – it helps you save time and recover access without contacting support.
How it works
If you have your backup key saved, follow these steps to recover the access:
- Download the Google Authenticator app on your device.
- Open the downloaded app on your phone, find and press "+" sign
- Then enter the backup key to add your CEX.IO account to Google Authenticator.
All done! Now you can sign in to your account again.
If you haven't saved the backup key but have access to your 2FA code
If you haven't saved your backup key but have access to Google Authenticator that generates your 2FA code, you can get the key easily. You’ll simply need to re-enable 2FA and save the key.
To do so:
- Log in to your account
- Go to Profile → Security
- Select Edit Settings → Deactivate 2FA
- Enter your 2FA code to confirm
Then re-enable 2FA and save the key:
- Click Enable 2FA
- Choose the smartphone app option
- In the pop-up window, download the backup key and save it
- Scan the QR code with your device
- Enter the code generated by the app and enable 2FA
Note: If you disable and re-enable 2FA, you’ll have two 2FA codes for your CEX.IO account in Google Authenticator. To avoid confusion with duplicate 2FA codes, delete the old 2FA code from the Google Authenticator app on your device. You can rename it before deleting to make sure you remove the old one.
If you’ve lost your backup key and don’t have access to your 2FA code
If that happened, to restore access to your account, you'll need to pass a 2FA verification procedure. To do so, submit a request via our Help Centre and provide all the required information. This is a security measure that helps us make sure you're the true account holder.
Generally, it takes around 72 hours to restore access to your account with the help of the Support Team. With the backup key, it will take up to 10 minutes.
Save your backup key when you turn on 2FA to save time!